Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tuesday's Manic Monday: Cloud

I just couldn't get anything on the blog in time for a Manic Monday post yesterday, so once again I have a Tuesday edition this week.

The Manic Monday word is always posted on the Manic Monday Blog every Friday. Even on weeks where I don't participate, I spend some time over the weekend thinking about the word for the coming Monday. This week was no different. But I still had a hard time coming up with anything for the word cloud.

The only thing that kept coming to me were the lyrics to Joni Mitchell's song Both Sides, Now.

"Rows and floes of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons ev'rywhere
I've looked at clouds that way

But now they only block the sun
They rain and snow on ev'ryone
So many things i would have done
But clouds got in my way

I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down, and still somehow
It's cloud illusions i recall
I really don't know clouds at all"

Honestly, the only reason I know this song is because I learned it in 7th grade choir. I've had parts of it stuck in my mind at various times ever since.

In an attempt to clear my head of the incessant repetition of these words and their accompanying melody, I thought it might be good to look up a poem or wonderful quote about clouds. But before I could even google 'cloud quotes', another, even better thought entered my head while the background music by Joni Mitchell continued. I realized that with this being my blog and all, I should write a thought or poem about clouds. So...here goes.

Constant only in their ever changing shape
Leaving behind wispy trails of mist
Occasional relief from summer's searing rays
Unpredictable with surprise showers
Deity's heavenly abode

Ok, so it's quite prosaic but I still couldn't come up with much and it's been a while since I've written poetry of any kind. But at least it's mine.

1 comment:

ClancyPants said...

I TOTALLY thought of that song too and I learned it in 7th grade *ahem* Girl's Glee.

I must say prosaic or not (whatever that means!) your poem was beautiful! A most excellent job and so much funner to read your own creation rather than something found somewhere. Your posterity will love it too. :)

How goes the house?