Monday, February 23, 2009

Manic Monday: Fire

I actually have had fire on my mind lately. That's because I have the worst sore throat I've ever had. It feels like my throat is on fire. Not at all times, I only feel pain when I swallow, yawn, cough and burp. Other than that, it is just a dull pain. But the sharp pain is so sharp it feels like I have something prickly lodged in my throat and when my throat makes any movement, it pierces it in a thousand places at once. In my mind I picture this foreign lodged object looking like an everlasting gobstopper. not the lovely round jawbreaker candies I loved as a child, but like the one in the original Carlie and the Chocolate Factory movie. Only the one in my throat is sharper and has more points.

So I spent most of the day yesterday gargling/sipping water with cayenne pepper in it to try and cure my throat. Casey swears by this remedy (even though in the 9 1/2 years we've been married, I've never seen him do this.) It made me feel like I was going to spew fire from the back of my throat when I was done, but it seemed to help a little. Unfortunately, that relief was only temporary, the pain was back with a vengeance today. If I don't start to get some relief tomorrow, I may have to go to the doctor to rule out strep. I just hope I can get some sleep tonight. Maybe I should try gargling baby Oragel instead. It would probably have a better outcome than the cayenne pepper did. I just have to see if I can find it...

6 comments:

shana said...

Leave in to Bruce for that red pepper trick--the worst is when you forget if your suppose to swallow or spit out-then it burns everywhere, down to your stomach or out your mouth again. Anyhoo, sorry your feeling sick, sore throats are the worst:(

Holly said...

Sorry you're not feeling well. Lemon tea helps soothe my throat when it's soar, but sometimes nothing works. Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

People think I am nuts...but I swear that drinking the juice from a jar of pickles helps. It must be something with the vinegar.

Jenny's Joy said...

Hope you get feeling better soon!

Monica said...

Nothing is worse than a burning throat. Well...maybe some things but I seem to get strep or feel like I have strep more than most people and I know how annoying and painful it is. Sorry! Hope you're feeling better soon! Cute pictures of your boys!

Becca said...

hope you feel better!
I tagged you on my blog...
Hope all is well with you guys!