Monday, November 17, 2008

Manic Monday: Season

Here's why I'll never write a recipe book:

I have a recipe I am really excited to share; the only problem with it is the way it's written. This is a recipe I made up so I don't have measurements or amounts of the ingredients and the cooking times and temperatures aren't specific. The only way to share it is to simply tell you what I did.

This "recipe" is for fried chicken (except that I don't fry it in a pan. I bake it in the oven but it has a crunchy outside on it like fried chicken. I think it's sometimes referred to as oven fried chicken; at least that's what we called it when we were growing up. But I didn't make this recipe up when I was growing up, I just changed some things from the way my mom made it when I was little. So...maybe it isn't a recipe I made up, it's just one that I adjusted. See why this recipe is going to be hard to share? I've been typing about it for a while now and I still haven't even started on the directions.)

Let's see if I can make this make sense.

What I used:
Chicken breasts
Mayonnaise
Stove Top Stuffing mix
vegetable oil

How I put it together:
-Pour a small amount of cooking oil on baking sheet and spread it around (just enough so that the chicken won't stick to the pan).
-spread a thin layer of mayonnaise onto chicken breasts
-roll chicken breasts into Stove Top stuffing crumbs. (I crushed them a little with a rolling pin but I left some texture there for the crunch. I'm sure if you wanted a finer texture you could put them in a blender or food processor.)
-Place chicken on prepared pan and bake at about 375 degrees until cooked through.

That's it! And they are so good. I used to make this using bread crumbs or crushed cereal (rice krispies) and it was good that way too. I would season the chicken with various herbs and spices but they never had the perfect flavor for me. Maybe I didn't have the right seasonings, or maybe I didn't use them in correct proportion to each other. Whatever it was, I just never felt like my chicken was very good. And found myself apologizing for the blandness or overbearing onion powder taste throughout dinner. This takes the guesswork out of seasoning the potentially bland chicken and the crunch of it is fantastic.

So, if you're brave enough to try a recipe with such unspecific directions I hope it turns out well for you and I hope you like it.

Smiley List
-The way Alek sticks his tongue out when he crawls
-Camden was extra cuddly after his nap
-Jace received a love note from a little girl at school
-We had Family Home Evening tonight
-My back and neck feel great after a visit to the chiropractor.

5 comments:

Holly said...

You're so funny! I love hearing new recipes, so I'll be giving this one a try sometime. Don't worry about unspecific directions...I'm used to it. In Austria I don't think there is such a thing as a recipe. They all just say "oh it's so easy I just used this and that and threw it together". It'll be great. Thanks for sharing.

Wayne & Jill said...

I love reading your blogs connie! You make me smile :) I will try your recipe and tell you how it goes.

Jessica said...

MMMMM. I'm going to try it. I just might be able to handle it, I need to work on my culinary skills.

Anonymous said...

Why have I never tried this chicken? Your mom has been holding back, it sounds yummy! Alex is crawling and Jace is receiving love letters? Wow they grow up so fast! I love your blog, it is one of many I read (stalk) but seldom comment on. Say hello to everyone for me!

Zanny said...

Ooooo, it's sounds yummy! I'll HAVE to make it. Keep posting recipes because I love getting new ones. I've got some on my blog that you can try if you want!